Online School FAQs

What subjects will my child study?

Will my student have the same graduation opportunities as students in traditional public schools?

Does the program provide textbooks and other instructional materials?

Yes. We provide the textbooks and instructional materials needed to complete the program. The amount and type of materials varies by grade and course. High school students receive fewer books and materials than middle school students due to the nature of their courses. Common household items and office supplies like printer ink and paper are not provided.

Can my child work at their own pace?

HCCA’s online program is a combination of self-paced work and scheduled lessons and activities. Students will have the opportunity to explore concepts in depth and spend more time on concepts that might be challenging.

How much time do students spend on the computer?

We use a unique multimedia approach that includes work on a computer as well as traditional books, workbooks, and instructional materials. At the high-school level, students will spend less than half of their instructional time each week online. They will be involved in hands-on science experiments, reading novels, and completing math problems that are done without the computer.

Do you provide curriculum for students with special needs?

As a public school, we will respond vigorously to federal and state mandates requiring the provision of a free appropriate public education regardless of a child’s disability or the severity of the disability. Parent permission and involvement is a vital piece in the process. Once a child has been identified as having a suspected disability or identified as having a disability, HCCA will ask for information about the child, such as:

  • How has the suspected disability or identified disability hindered the student’s learning?
  • What has been done educationally to address the student’s learning needs?
  • What educational or medical information relative to the suspected disability or identified disability is available to be shared with the school?

This information may be obtained from the student, his or her parents, present or former teachers, therapists, doctors, or from other agencies that have information about the student.

All information collected will be held in strict confidence and released to others only with parental permission or as allowed by law. In keeping with this confidence, HCCA will keep a record of all persons who review confidential information with the exception of authorized school employees or other educational agency personnel. Parents have the right to review their child’s records at any time.

We are committed to meeting the needs of children with disabilities. If you have or know of a child who may have a disability, please contact HCCA for clarification, more information, or assistance.

Do you provide support or an intervention program for students with dyslexia?

HCCA uses MindPlay and the Northwest Evaluation Association (NWEA) assessment, which are Indiana Department of Education approved dyslexia screeners.

School year 2019–2020 was a pilot year using both screener tools. The number of students who received dyslexia intervention will be posted for the 2020–2021 school year. And the total number of students identified with dyslexia will be posted for the 2020–2021 school year.

How do students interact socially?

Throughout the year, students will be invited to participate in school outings, field trips (e.g., to historical sites, museums, zoos), picnics, and other social events. In addition, local groups of students and parents can get together on their own. The family directory provides a way for families to network with other families in their region of the state.

Will this program intrude into my home?

There are no home visits as part of the program, and there are no other intrusions into your home.

Can students do extracurricular activities in their resident district?

This decision is made on a district-by-district basis. The staff at HCCA are proactive in identifying extracurricular activities for students.